Union Public Service Commission conducts the Civil Services examination for IAS, IFS, and IPS officers. The syllabus for the Civil Services mentioned above are the same. Candidates interested in the posts and candidates preparing for the Civil Services examination can go through this Sarkari exam post for UPSC syllabus, UPSC exam details, UPSC mains syllabus and UPSC prelims syllabus. Also, sign up for the free job alert and never miss out on any UPSC updates.
UPSC Syllabus 2021 Notification
An overview of the latest notification of UPSC is given below:
|UPSC Syllabus 2021|
|Conducting Authority||Union Public Service Commission|
|Exam Name||Civil Services Examination|
|Exam Date||September 17, 2021 (Tentative)|
|Last Date to Apply||March 24, 2021 (Tentative)|
UPSC Syllabus 2021
UPSC Civil Services examination is conducted in three stages. The first stage is called the preliminary examination, followed by the mains examination. The final step is the interview. The UPSC prelims syllabus and UPSC mains syllabus is given below:
UPSC Prelims Syllabus 2021
The prelims examination consists of two papers, namely, General Studies and CSAT. The UPSC exam syllabus is given in detail below:
|1.||General Studies (Paper-I)||200||2 hours||9:30 – 11:30 AM|
|2.||CSAT (Paper-II)||200||2 hours||2:30 – 4:30 PM|
General Studies (GS)
- Current events of national and international importance
- History of India
- Indian National Movement
- Indian and world geography, physical, social, economic geography of India and the world
- Indian polity and governance – constitution, political system, Panchayati raj, public policy, rights issues
- Economic and social development – sustainable development, poverty, inclusion, demographics, social sector initiatives
- General issues on environmental ecology, biodiversity, and climate change – that do not require subject specialization.
- General Science
Civil Services Aptitude Test (CSAT)
- Interpersonal skills, including communication skills
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision-making and problem solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, level, data interpretation, charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency, etc., of class X level)
UPSC Prelims Exam Marking Scheme
The marking scheme for the prelims papers are as follows:
- Each correctly answered GS question will be awarded two marks, and 0.66 marks would be deducted from the total for every question that is wrongly answered.
- Each correctly answered CSAT question will be awarded 2.5 marks, and 0.833 marks would be deducted from the total for every question that is wrongly answered.
- Questions that are not attempted will not attract any negative marks.
UPSC Mains Syllabus 2021
The UPSC mains exam consists of 9 papers, out of which 2 are qualifying papers of 300 marks each.
The two qualifying papers are:
- Any Indian language paper
- English language paper
|S. No.||UPSC Mains Syllabus – Papers||Marks|
|1.||Essay (can be written in the medium of the candidate’s choice)||250|
|2.||General Studies – I (Indian Heritage & Culture, History & Geography of the World & Society)||250|
|3.||General Studies – II (Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice & International Relations)||250|
|4.||General Studies – III (Technology, Economic Development, Biodiversity, Security & Disaster Management)||250|
|5.||General Studies – IV (Ethics, Integrity & Aptitude)||250|
|6.||Optional Subject – Paper I||250|
|7.||Optional Subject – Paper II||250|
UPSC Mains Syllabus for Paper-I
- Precis writing
- Short essay
- English to Indian language translation
UPSC Syllabus for Mains Paper-II
- Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of art forms, literature and architecture from ancient to modern times
- The freedom struggle
- 18th-century industrial world wars
- Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism
- Important geophysical phenomena
UPSC Syllabus for Mains Paper-III
- Indian constitution
- Union and state
- Comparison of parliament
- Structure, organization, and function of all government bodies
UPSC Syllabus for Mains Paper-IV
- Government budgeting
- Cropping patterns, irrigation, marketing of agriculture.
- Food processing, supply chain management.
- Land reforms
- Roads, airports, railways, etc.
- Science and technology, developing new technologies
- Space, computers, robotics, nanotechnology etc
- Linkages b/w development and spread of extremism
- Security challenges, cybersecurity.
UPSC Syllabus for Mains Paper-V
- The paper will include questions to test the ability of the candidate approach based on the given concept
- Ethics and human interfaces
- Human values
- Emotional intelligence concepts
- Aptitude and foundation values
- Work culture, quality of service, utilization of public funds
- Case studies based on the above issues
Mains Optional Subjects
Provided below is the list of IAS syllabus subjects that are optional for the UPSC mains exam. Candidates need to select two subjects out of this list for the paper-VI and paper-VII.
- Animal Husbandry and Veterinary
- Civil Engineering
- Commerce and Accountancy
- Electrical Engineering
- Political Science
- Public Administration
UPSC Syllabus 2021 FAQs
The interview round carries 275 marks.
The UPSC syllabus is given in this Sarkari exam post.
What is UPSC full form?
The full form of UPSC is Union Public Service Commission.
There are 48 optional subjects.
Other Government Exams and Syllabus
- IDBI Bank Syllabus
- UPSC Syllabus
- KVS Syllabus
- MPPSC Syllabus
For more updates on the UPSC syllabus, sign up for a free job alert. Check out other government recruitments and exams on the Sarkari exam page.
The post UPSC Syllabus 2021 – Check UPSC Mains Syllabus & UPSC Prelims Syllabus appeared first on .